History of Western Political Tradition A brief overview of the development of political philosohpy from Socrates to Marx by John A. Sterling
Biblical origins of American Political philosophy by John A. Sterling. A look at the biblical and philosophical origins of self-government.
Christianity as an Influence on the Founders A look at some of the best-known founding fathers and what they said about Christianity and the Bible. Also, what their contemporaries said about them and their faith. By John A. Sterling
Scroll down the page for Documents and quotes that demonstrate the ideological basis of American Self-Government
1. Magna Carta
2. The Mayflower Compact
3.Declaration of the Causes and Necessity of Taking up Arms.
4. The Declaration of Independence
5. The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights
6. The Federalist Papers This hyperlink takes you to the THOMAS information site maintained by the U.S. Government. To return to the Law & Liberty Foundation, use the BACK button on your browser.
7. Davy Crockett's speech on the Floor of Congress 1830
8. Madison Veto of Public Works Law March 3, 1817
9. Sermon by Samuel West on the right to rebel against governors, 1789
10. Offenses Against God by Sir William Blackstone11. Discourse on Civil Liberty by Nathaniel Niles, legislator, judge, & preacher, (1741-1821)
12. Civil Disobedience: A duty to disobey by Jonathan Mayhew, (1720-1766)
Sites on the Web where you can find many more historical documentsLINKS The Constitution Society
Articles on Religion and America's Founding